Thursday, September 27, 2012

John Hiatt's Slow Turning

Certain songwriters inspire me to the bone. Last night, I saw John Hiatt at the City Winery on Varick Street.  This venue made sense since long ago the space was the dance hall known as Heartbreak, a subject Hiatt lyrically majors in with a minor in regret.

Hiatt has a new record out, "Mystic Pinball," he played four songs from it last night and nothing reflects the quality of an artist like the seamless integration of new work into a show that knocks out the audience. Listening to the new tunes now and I love them.

But I do admit I snuck in Paper Thin, Drive South and Slow Turning  (lyrics below).


When I was a boy
I thought it just came to you
But I never could tell what's mine
So it didn't matter anyway
My only pride and joy
Was this racket down here
Bangin' on an old guitar
Singin' what I had to say
I always thought our house was haunted
'Cuz nobody said boo to me
I never did get what I wanted
But now I get what I need
It's been a slow turnin
'From the inside out
A slow turnin' baby
Spring St. & West Broadway looking south
But you come about
A slow learnin
'But you learn to sway-ah-hay-hay-hay
A slow turnin', baby
Not fade away, not fade away, not fade away
Now I'm in my car
Ooh, I got the radio down
Now I'm yellin' at the kids in the back
'Cuz they're bangin' like Charlie Watts
You think you've come so far
In this one horse town
Then she's laughin' that crazy laugh
'Cuz you haven't left the parkin' lot
Time is short and here's the damn thing about it
You're gonna die, gonna die for sure
And you can learn to live with love or without it
But there ain't no cure
It's just a slow turnin'
From the inside out
A slow turnin'
But you come about, ya
A slow turnin', baby
But you learn to sway-ah-hay-hay-hay
A slow turnin'
Not fade away, not fade away, not fade away...




My first book of photos, "River to River ~ New York Scenes from a Bicycle," is on sale for $12.95 @ Amazon. 

















No comments: