Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Giants, Storytelling, Book for Sale


Yorkville Gang - 1961 - Carl Schurz Park - just south of Gracie Mansion
Football is back.  All is good. The Giants play the Anti-Christ from Texas tonight. 

This morning, I received a note from my friend, Drew, a big Redskin fan who has high hopes for his rookie QB, Robert Griffin.  Drew said, soon I’d hate Griffin like I hate Tony Romo, Dallas QB.  I responded (below).

Drew, I expect you are right, but I won't hate Griffin.  Like Romo, I’ll pray for the best but acknowledge the guy is pretty darn good. I've always respected opponents, my favorite players who were not Giants, were Giant killers, Montana, Unitas, Staubach, Berry, Jim Taylor, Jimmy Brown, my deep lack of affection for Dallas prevents me from naming any other Dallas player who might have touched a respect nerve (OK, one, Walt Garrison), but honestly they had great teams and my lead emotion was jealousy. It’s human nature to get sick of relentless winners if they don't have the right shirt on. I never saw a Super Bowl coming last year or 4 years ago.  I believe in karma, and the two championships almost offset my miserable New York Giant fan period starting in 1964 (I cried, moped and whinged for 17 years) ~ ending in 1981 with a 9-7 record and one playoff win (with all due respect, up yours Montana).
Harris Field - 1969 Tommy - OLGC's Yorkville Rams


Fan note: Yankees counted, but not like the Giants.  Rangers I haven't lost sleep over since they traded Ratelle, Park and Middleton for Phil "stand in front of the net" Esposito and his Bruin minions.  I stopped caring about the Knicks after the 1974 team broke up.

Having football back turns me into a kid, I like that. Life can be hard, three hours of vicarious fantasy a week for four months works nice. I wish you and the Skins luck this year, I have a hunch RG is going to rock.  Gooooooooo  Giiiiiiiiants!









******************************

Next Tues, September 11th @ 6pm @ Cornelia Street Café we present our end of summer storytelling show, “City Stories: Stoops to Nuts.” Our artists:  Jennifer DemerittRob Gorden, Thomas Pryor, Lianne Smith and Tami Yellin.  Unbelievably, you will be transported to each of their own planets where stories and songs flourish.  Admission is $ 8 and that includes a free drink.



******************************

My first book of photographs "River to River ~ New York Scenes from a Bicycle" was published by YBK Publishers. Photos, captions and an essay in an 8 x 11 format.

The book is available at YBK and Amazon for $12.95. Other sellers will be added in a month.

This photography portfolio is a small sample of my work that YBK wanted to put out there. They did a terrific job and I’m honored they asked me. I hope you buy the book and enjoy the pictures.

If you like my stories and my photos there is a lot more coming.

Be well, Tommy

2 comments:

Mark Sampson said...

You are introducing an effective way on storytelling.

Thomas Pryor said...

thank you, Mark.